Our Homework Philosophy
Homework in the TASIS England Middle School is part of the instructional program. Assignments vary in accordance to the needs of the grade/class and relate to the curriculum. Homework assignments reinforce and extend classroom learning and help teachers to assess student understanding. Routinely completing developmentally appropriate homework assignments can motivate students to develop good work habits and increase individual initiative and responsibility. Homework can also stimulate creativity, critical thinking, and the awareness that learning can take place outside of the classroom.
Students are responsible for understanding what their homework is and when it is due: be sure to understand assignments clearly before leaving class.
- Bring home the proper materials to complete the assignments.
- Always do your best work.
- Hand in completed assignments on time.
- Make a time plan for long-term assignments.
- Complete any work missed due to absence from class; time frame to be agreed with the teacher.
- Talk to your teacher and/or advisor if you are having difficulty with homework.
- Homework will not be assigned during school holidays except for the expectation that you will read for English or for pleasure/interest. Occasionally, holiday time can be used to complete previously assigned long-term projects.
- Be familiar with the philosophy and guidelines of the homework policy.
- Provide a time and place to do homework assignments with limited interruptions.
- Check that your child understands the homework assignment.
- Actively supervise homework completion, particularly monitoring the use of the Internet. Parents should not complete homework.
- Oversee completion of long-term assignments to assist in helping students to develop time management skills.
- Contact the teacher with questions or concerns, especially if your child exceeds the allotted time frame.
- Parents should not complete homework for their child.
- Homework will not be assigned during school holidays, except for the expectation that students will read for English or for pleasure/interest. Occasionally holiday time can be used to complete previously assigned long-term projects.